This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-07-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default News from Asia.

DPRK: US Intelligence sources state that a North-Korean nuclear test might take place within one week. Neighours (South Korea, China, Japan) are seriously concerned, and the UN Security Council has "condemned" the possibility of a North-Korean nuclear or missile test.

JAPAN: The new-designed Japanese Prime Minister, the ultra-conservative and ultra-nationalist leader Shinzo Abe, just at the eve of a State visit in China and South-Korea, has stated that in Japan "There are not, and never in history have ever been, such things as ''War Criminals,,". Furthermore, he has stated that "Japan was pushed into World War 2 by the USA, which provoked it with an economic embargo". The very same Shinzo Abe has stated the possibility to change history books in Japan towards a more nationalistic way, deleting most of parts from World War 2 reports and describing modern Japan as a "military and enonomic world superpower, able to intervene successfully on the international tactical exchequer".

Now, I don't know which one of the two news disturbs you the most. I'd however ask North Korea to perform its nuclear test over the skies of Tokyo, just to give the Japs a free brush-up of History 101.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-07-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Funny how...

We just keep reliving history. It's gonna be ww2 all over again with Iran playing the part of Germany, and Chavez playing Mussolini.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 10-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
Funny how we just keep reliving history. It's gonna be ww2 all over again with Iran playing the part of Germany, and Chavez playing Mussolini.

Actually, my point was another. Japan has relaxed itself on the laurels of its economic growth, after World War 2, and is the only former Axis country which has NEVER recognized and admitted its crimes and officially apoligized for them. Italy and Germany did; Japan, no. Japan was the ONLY country of the former Axis which didn't respected the Geneva Convention as for the treatment of the Prisoners of War. True, Germany butchered millions and Italy followed in; but them -DID- respected, at least, the POWs. Japan, no.

Now, Japan is having a revival of the nationalistic-imperialistic aims that pushed it in war in 1939/1945, that very same nationalistic-imperialistic ideas which Japan NEVER ACTUALLY ABJURED; they never apoligized for their crimes in WW-2, now they state that they NEVER committed war crimes in WW-2, and are trying to pass the fairytale that they were between the GOOD GUYS in WW-2 and that the Brits, the Soviets and the Americans were the BAD guys. It Italy, such a thing is still a taboo, and hopefully it will forever be, and our Constitutional rule prohibits Fascism; in Germany, apology of Nazism is a felony punished with strong jailtime sentences. In Japan, there seems to be nothing wrong in saying that, hey, Japs in World War 2 weren't -SO- bad after all, and that, YES, maybe they were RIGHT...

This is highly dangerous for stability in Asia. There's already a dirfting mine in the region, North Korea with its purported nuclear arsenal, and if Mr. Shinzo Abe, his ultra-nationalist friends, and the entire Japan, keep on waving THAT banner, well, North Korea won't ever find a better pretext to do something foolish. True, DPRK is to be kept under control, but this doesn't means that the Japanese are right in their operation of historic revisionism and apology of their nationalistic past. Or, maybe, what they REALLY need to realize the truth, repeal such a mad ideology forever and TRULY apologize, is the purifying shockwave of another nuclear blast, this time maybe from China or North Korea, they seem to be so eager to launch their bombs, so why should America bother to use one of her own?

About the new world war to come (IF it will ever, let's hope not...) I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that Venezuela will ever be an actual danger; Chavez is a teethless dog that barks like mad but won't bite.
Iran, on the other hand, is a whole another story. UZI and I, planning that Neo-Sparta novel which I'll outline sooner or later (more "sooner" than "later", believe me), we have "roughly drafted" a realistic situation of Iran becoming a REAL world danger.
Mismanagement of the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, mainly due to US/Coalition actions that might raise the anger of local populations way over the fan, could create fertile soil for the infiltration of a great number of Iranian agents that might end up in co-ordinating the efforts of the insurgent groups (which, let me recall this to you, are ALL against the coalition forces, but also one against another), and lead the places to an outright rebellion; co-ordination of these local rebellions to a greater regional level, and maybe the escalation in technology and firepower (provided by Iran) of the attacks against Coalition forces (UZI and I had imagined such a severe rebellion that the Coalition troops were forced to refuge in bases, which were soon attacked by nuclear devices, thus wiping the Coalition out of the area in one single move) might then take the two countries under the orbit of Iran, which might probably annex them, re-creating the Islamic caliphate; a reality which would soon lay its "longa manu" to other surrounding Countries, like financing the extremists in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Syria and Pakistan to annex them too. THAT would be dangerous as hell.

Bud, hey, that's political fiction after all...
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-08-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

An embargo after someone invades other nations is reason for war?

Was Japan inherently entitled to being supplied with US steel and oil? Hell no. If France decided to stop selling cheese to Spain, would Spain be justified to attack them for it? That's about what it amounts to.

I don't think things in regard to Japan would happen the same way again. For better or worse. I think the Japanese prime minister is looking at strained US forces and a problematic North Korea hoping to get some relaxation of treaties. But the truth in Korea is that failing several massive (successful...) nuclear strikes the North simply can't beat the South on their own. Japan just isn't an important part of the situation, and I think that's a lot of what is bothering the Prime Minister there.

But the denial of war crimes does bother me. On the one hand, I doubt the current generation of Japanese are likely to repeat them. On the other hand, that doesn't mean nothing bad ever happened by Japanese hands in China or the Philipines. And then there is Japan's treatment of POW's of all parties...

Does he think the world's just going to forget all that if they prove they are handy in Korea?

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 10-09-2006

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
... the possibility of a North-Korean nuclear or missile test.
North-Korea carried out a nuclear test...
Old 10-09-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Yes. North Korea tested it underground. They seem to be having difficulties on above ground testing of related items. Like missiles and such.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 10-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
But the denial of war crimes does bother me. On the one hand, I doubt the current generation of Japanese are likely to repeat them. On the other hand, that doesn't mean nothing bad ever happened by Japanese hands in China or the Philipines. And then there is Japan's treatment of POW's of all parties...

Does he think the world's just going to forget all that if they prove they are handy in Korea?

THAT'S what I mean! What if one day the Italian PM starts talking good about Fascism (no, no, wait... Berlusconi has... oh, nevermind...! ), or if the German Chancellor denies the holocaust in a public statement and starts a nationalistic policy that's nostalgic of the Reich years? Shouldn't the world be pretty pissed off? I wonder why nobody has yet poured shit on Japan for this.

Old 10-09-2006

Default Hmmm...

Those aren't good things to hear, but on the other hand...

Japan's navy is the most powerful fleet in the entire East Asia region.

If we have that on our side against DPRK and PRC (Taiwanese, remember?), I'd let him bullshit all he wants about WW2.

I mean, I know it's bullshit. If he doesn't... that's his problem.
Old 10-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23
Japan's navy is the most powerful fleet in the entire East Asia region.

First of all, let me seriously doubt it. China-PRC is much stronger. And by any ways, Japan having the strongest Navy (or Army, or Air Force, or whatever) of the region would be a serious violation of the treaties that Japan signed after WW-2, treaties that are still valid and hopefully will be valid until the end of days; not to mention that it would go against their Constitution (again, written after WW-2). North-Korea playing with nukes is like a problem child tinkering with a gun, of course; but Japan has some "sleeper" ultra-nationalistic tendences that must be kept under serious control. And besides, generally I don't trust a Country that does not allows its citizens to have guns (like PRC, DPRK, and I have to say it, Taiwan and Japan) to have a strong military. Strong military = strong power of the Government. No guns to civilians = no power for the citizens to resist tyranny.

Old 10-09-2006

Default Tallying up inventory...

China:

Destroyers: 26
Frigates: 45
Submarines: 9

Japan:

Destroyers: 49
Frigates: 10
Submarines: 22

Your mighty Chineses navy doesn't look so hot all of a sudden, PT.