This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-15-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default .303 Bar

How many of these were made or who used them?, Just asking becouse i have never came across a M1918 BAR in British .303 Caliber.
Old 10-15-2006

Default Hmmm...

That magazine speaks BREN to me. Since the main use of the Browning Automatic Rifle was from World War 2 to the early stages of the Vietnam War, I assume that the .303 BAR were made for British troops during WW-2.

Am I the only one that uses logic, here?

NAW, just kidding. And besides, around World War 2, the BAR spawned several foreign versions. Did you knew about the Polish .7'92x57mm "Browning RKM Wz.1928" BAR version?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-15-2006

Lightbulb

Thats very interesting, never heard of it either. I think it looks exactly like the swedish version, especially the magazine but without the pistolgrip. The only other version i heard of manufactured abroad was the Belgian FN M1930. A variant produced by FN for Belgian military, also chambered for the 7.92 x 57 mm cartridge. The M1930 also had a pistol grip. Kulsprutegevär m/21 and m/37 were a Swedish variant of the M1918 BAR, rechambered for the 6,5x55mmS it had a Pistol grip and spiked bipod.

Initially M1918 BARs manufactured by Colt were bought, and then Sweden made their own version under license by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori in Eskilstuna, Sweden.
Click HERE for a drawing

The Kulsprutegevär (machinegun in swedish) m/37 added a quick-change barrel to the design and often a flashhider. The machinegun was in use until the 1970's and there was even experiments to make it beltfed.