This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-31-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote
Default Worst... movie... EVER!

OK so instead of derailing other threads for this kind of stuff, I'm starting a bad movie thread. Name the worst! Give some reasons why!

I think mine's hard to beat:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

THIS is the worst movie ever. Worse than propaganda films, a film Ed Wood could have made better. HINT: When Christopher Lambert refuses to make a movie, you're in trouble already. But the real atrocity of this film, was that it took a very entertaining film I already liked... its predecessor... and made me abhor it by relation for years. It is a sequel that, literally, would have been better if it had never been made.

The thing was, the original was special because it's one of the only movies ever based on a video game that's actually watchable. The first was intelligent in what to include and what not to include to suspend disbelief and have at least a nod to audiences over 12. Apparently they forgot all that in making a sequel. Lots of second rate digital effects do not make up for good visuals, or poor fight choreography, or bad acting, or poor story direction, or... it just keeps going.

Too bad MST3K isn't still going, a lot of people who like the original movie who ran into this atrocity could use the catharsis of watching it brutally disassembled.

Next?

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 10-31-2006

Thumbs up Oh, God, YES!

MORTAL KOMBAT movie series
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-31-2006

Well I'll defend the first one a little. It wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't terrible. It mostly has the virtue of probably being the best movie ever based on a video game, but that is just because it's watchable and everything else in the category is pure gut wrenching garbage...

But GOD... they threw out everything that made the first one half work when they went about making a sequel.

Old 10-31-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
It mostly has the virtue of probably being the best movie ever based on a video game[...]

Wrongo, in my opinion. There are much better. See the recent RESIDENT EVIL, and the incoming HALO.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-31-2006

That's true, Resident Evil did probably take the place of best when it came out. But it also has a lot of "dropped the ball on the sequel syndrome".

Old 10-31-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
That's true, Resident Evil did probably take the place of best when it came out. But it also has a lot of "dropped the ball on the sequel syndrome".

Very true. Not to mention, I was disappointed by the release of RESIDENT EVIL (and of the most recent DOOM) for both being too distant and different from the storyline of the original video-game.
Both of them, in fact (the video-game RESIDENT EVIL 1-2-3 for the movie "Resident Evil" and the video-game DOOM 3 for the movie "Doom"), have a great plot, very well written, and very "in-depth". IMHO, the movies didn't needed to be made, basically, upon a totally story and keeping only certain mainstays of the originals. The plot for RESIDENT EVIL (the video-game series) and DOOM 3 are very good, entertaining, interesting and frightening even when playing the game itself. Not to mention that the movies would have made such plot known also by a certain category of audience (adults) that DON'T play the video-game, or at least that didn't played it before seeing the movie.

Old 10-31-2006
Super Moderator

Starship Troopers 2.

JUST PLAIN SUCKED!

The first one was bad enough... They took a book with a very good storyline, logical concepts, deep thought inducing questions and decent morality plays, and turned it into a half-hearted sex-filled hold-my-beer-and-watch-this movie. The only thing halfway decent about the film were the Bugs... Well done effects on that. But what happened to the power suits?

Then they made Starship Troopers 2...

I could have directed a million times better film than that.

IT SUCKED!

EVERYTHING about it sucked.

The acting sucked.

The effects SUCKED!

The storyline SUCKED!!!

I can't think of one thing about that film that DIDN'T TOTALLY SUCK!

Before anyone else has to suffer through that thing, burn it, burn every last copy of it. Then burn the ashes to be safe. Then carpet-bomb the factory it was made at, and napalm any place that might dare have a copy of its script or other production materials on hand. Then find the director and have him tortured to death by ex-KGB agents. Lastly, round up every person who took part in its production and deport them to Kenya.

I'm serious, that movie SUCKED!
Old 10-31-2006

Default Hmmmmm...

I really didn't like the RE movies. The plot was fine, and I loved the gunfire effects. But...

THEY EVEN HIRED PROFESSIONAL DANCERS AND STUFF FOR ZOMBIE MOVEMENT AND /I/ MAKE A MORE CONVINCING UNDEAD!

That and their eyes weren't clouded over. That annoyed me.
Old 10-31-2006

Default "Starship Troopers 2".

Damn, UZI, you are F'N RIGHT!

Old 10-31-2006

I never saw Starship Troopers 2. In fact, when I went to see the first in the theater, the projector broke in the first 30 seconds so I didn't get to see it. (And PT claims theres no God... then again, it should have broke on MK:Annihilation...)

One of the biggest issues with the original though, was the script was originally created on it's own called "Bug Hunt". Someone pointed out to the guys making it that it had some parallels to Heinlein's novel and so the went about getting rights. Which was the mistake. Tacking 2 separate projects together like that is a bad idea.

I think a relative of mine put it best when she said she hates when sci-fi is used as an excuse to make a bad action movie. It seems to be happening more and more lately... X-Men 3, Star Trek Nemesis, etc. Character development ignored or on the cutting room floor, thought provoking issues deleted... And when something like Serenity comes along it gets no advertising to push something with those things in it that help gather long-term fan interest.