This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-01-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Arrow statistically speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
I never saw Starship Troopers 2. In fact, when I went to see the first in the theater, the projector broke in the first 30 seconds so I didn't get to see it.

...you are a lucky guy, indeed!

../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 11-01-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Well...

I'll go ahead and vote Romero's Land of the Dead as the worst zombie movie ever. It's supposed to take place years and years after the original Night of the Living dead yet, the zombies look as if they just died. The acting is horrible. It has the type of action sequences where, someone shoots a car with an M 16 and the car explodes. Most of the main charecters are retarded. As in, instead of carrying logical, practical weapons. They carry shit like spear guns and do moronic things like, go wandering off into no man's land alone and get high in creepy, abandoned warehouses. I've been a Romero fan for years, but this movie is an absolute piece of shit. And at the climax of the film, you've got a heavily armed military force. Yet they can't keep slow moving, retarded zombies from breaching the front gate of the community. Stupid.....

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 11-01-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

There are a lot of worse movies than Land of the Dead. Consider they were being assaulted from an unexpected quarter, and the people running around outside the city were people normally paid to do so. My problem was the schmuck running away with all the money; what value do he think it was going to have to other people he'd encounter? Food, water, medical supplies, ammo... that's what people needed. Paper money only had value because of the number of people in the city who needed a medium of exchange. Most people that familiar with money realize the innate worthlessness of paper currency beyond usefulness when large numbers of people need to exchange things.

And actually, in small community situations trying to use currency could be more trouble than it's worth. Unless there was an honest expectation that society would be restored to where money would reassume its former value, it would have no value.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 11-01-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default But...

...my main problem with the film was the action. Cars DO NOT explode when you shoot them. I don't care what you shoot them with or where. They do not explode. As soon as I see something like that, I can't enjoy the rest of the film. Not to mention, everythime you see a long gun in that film it's firing on full auto. A well trained military force are not a bunch of rock and rollers who waste ammo in such dire situations. As to the paper money. That was Romero's little jab at our current administration. Dennis Hopper's charecter is basically Don Rumsfeld. Romero is excellent when it comes to political commentary. As an action/horror director, he needs to hire some serious technical advisors. Because that movie licked the big one.

Old 11-01-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

I know but I was saying that a character with the foresight to create this situation in the first place, wouldn't be one to deluded enough to assume money would retain value. It was character-inconsistent.

As for excessive explosions, try The World Is Not Enough. I swear, there are paragliders that explode if they touch some pine needles, barrels of caviar exploding... it seemed like any time they didn't know what to do to grab attention they made something explode.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 11-01-2006

Explosions are spectacular and funny... it's the movie-magic, folks!

And besides, a car with GASOLINE ENGINE will not explode (unless full of explosive). A car with GAS ENGINE -can- explode after a collision.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-01-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

Starship Troppers 2 has got to be the second most vile film I've ever seen.
The number one bad film in my personal file (and trust me, it's thicker than charlie manson's rap sheet) has got to be Storm of the Dead.
Yes, the film I'd mentioned helping work on as a technical advisor...and subsequently had my name removed from. I mean, holy shit-- even Zelda Rubinstein (the dwarf like lady from Poultergeist) couldn't have made it less hokey.
I'll second the lament that MST3K isn't around anymore-- this latest generation of cinema is pure ass. I seriously can't recall the last film I saw that even closely resembled creative or original.
HOWEVER--
For anyone into fantasy, the first of the Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon) is coming out December 15th-- Malcovich and Irons are in it, and I swear the trailer gave me goosebumps.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 11-01-2006

Default Indeed

When it comes to Sci Fi it's a crap shoot. It's either good or it sucks. The best new Sci Fi I've seen would have to be Battlestar Galactica. It's surprisingly good. And their weapons/prop guys are quite fond of old Soviet hardware.

Old 11-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
And their weapons/prop guys are quite fond of old Soviet hardware.

I actually haven't seen much old Soviet hardware in the TV series "Battlestar Galactica". There's much more hi-tech-lookalike things (the standard pistol seems to be the VEKTOR CP-1, also soldiers are widely seen using FN P-90 "Triple Rail" Model with optional optics and laser sights).
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-04-2006

Default Worst movie ever?

DOA has to be up there somewhere.