This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-05-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23
DOA has to be up there somewhere.

Probably, but I still have to see it to evaluate (hmmm, DOA girls...)
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-05-2006

Default Oh, and besides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
I'll go ahead and vote Romero's Land of the Dead as the worst zombie movie ever. It's supposed to take place years and years after the original Night of the Living dead yet, the zombies look as if they just died. The acting is horrible. It has the type of action sequences where, someone shoots a car with an M 16 and the car explodes. Most of the main charecters are retarded. As in, instead of carrying logical, practical weapons. They carry shit like spear guns and do moronic things like, go wandering off into no man's land alone and get high in creepy, abandoned warehouses. I've been a Romero fan for years, but this movie is an absolute piece of shit. And at the climax of the film, you've got a heavily armed military force. Yet they can't keep slow moving, retarded zombies from breaching the front gate of the community. Stupid.....

LAND OF THE DEAD is, for the same admission of the director, a political movie. A parable of America under Bush Administration. THAT'S why you hated it (and why I loved it).
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-05-2006

Default Political?

I hated the fucking thing because they tried to give zombies a 'command structure'. Zombie's don't organize or generate a command structure! That's why they're called zombies!

RE4 gets away with this because it's said from the start that the villagers aren't zombies!
Old 11-05-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Dude can you fucking read?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
LAND OF THE DEAD is, for the same admission of the director, a political movie. A parable of America under Bush Administration. THAT'S why you hated it (and why I loved it).

I hated it because it looked like the action was directed by a 12 year old. I did not hate it because it jabbed at the Bush Administration. That's one of the few things the film did well. Please try to pay attention.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 11-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23
I hated the fucking thing because they tried to give zombies a 'command structure'. Zombie's don't organize or generate a command structure! That's why they're called zombies!

Romero sees zombies as a new species that's evolving, and that will take the place of the Humankind at the top of the food chain and at the command of the world. These are no more the brainless zombies we were used to fight.

Remember: the zombies are US. And under this point of view (between the others), LAND OF THE DEAD really -IS- a political movie.

Old 11-06-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Romero sees zombies as a new species that's evolving, and that will take the place of the Humankind at the top of the food chain and at the command of the world. These are no more the brainless zombies we were used to fight.

Then They Aren't Zombies!
Old 11-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
Then They Aren't Zombies!

It depends from what you mean with "Zombies". As in the example, if you mean "Zombie" simply as a synonime for "Living Dead", then they definitely -ARE- Zombies.
But I may agree that SOMETIMES the word "Zombie" can indicate something else. Like, to say, the ones of "28 Days Later", which aren't "Zombies" in the sense of "Living Dead", but -ARE- "Zombies" if you mean "Zombie" like a once-human form of life that lives only to attack the "living" (or the normal human beings") for food, has not other pulsions but the one of feeding, and has in no way a pulsion to organize or to form "communities" (no, better "groups") of any kind.

Under THAT point of view, I might agree.

But remember, "Zombie" is a term with multiple meanings. Originarily, the "Zombies" of Haiti are people, LIVING people, rendered mindless and personality-less with the use of a drug (the tetrodoxin, or tetrodotoxin) and virtually enslaved by the one who gave him it...

Old 11-06-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
But remember, "Zombie" is a term with multiple meanings. Originarily, the "Zombies" of Haiti are people, LIVING people, rendered mindless and personality-less with the use of a drug (the tetrodoxin, or tetrodotoxin) and virtually enslaved by the one who gave him it...

Yes but, this process involved a fake death and their being resurrected. All the parties involved considered them to be dead people walking among the living.

I would agree though, a smart zombie isn't really a zombie, they're just plain old undead.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 11-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
I would agree though, a smart zombie isn't really a zombie, they're just plain old undead.

But again, it still depends from what you mean with "a smart zombie". Zombies (let's use this term for "non-smart living dead", or "living dead that are only compelled with the need for food and have no form of organization in their existence") have memories of their past life. George Romero, in the original trilogy (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, DAY OF THE DEAD) has shown us that the Zombies can preserve these memories enough to roughly perform some actions: opening doors, using tools in some rude way... in DAY OF THE DEAD, an undead soldier even remembered how to fire a gun.